The Depression ended, but the country was soon at war. Women assumed many of the duties formerly performed by men. They constructed sets, ran crew and created lighting designs. In the 1941-42 season, the theatre presented Clare Booth Luce’s THE WOMEN, utilizing a cast of all women. YLT casts also performed for local industry and they entertained service men at area camps to build morale during this difficult time. They also raised money for the 6th and 7th War Loan Drives. In 1944, they raised $871,900 for the War Loan Drives, receiving a Citation from Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau “for patriotic cooperation rendered on behalf of the War Finance Committee of York County”.
When World War II ended, YLT wanted to have a home of its own. In September, 1945, YLT’s board approved the purchase and renovation of St. Andrews Parish Recreation Hall on East Prospect Street. This building had been the former home of the York Safe and Lock Athletic Club. The renovation goal of $25,000 included a large stage, a fly gallery, generous seating, offices and a rehearsal room. This goal was not met, however, and the theatre sold the building in 1948 for $15,000, which was $4,000 more than they had paid for it. Today it is the home of Mt. Moriah Baptist Church.
Still renting space at the Phineas Davis Auditorium, YLT wanted a home of its own. In 1949, plans were made to purchase a lot on McKenzie Street. Architect J. Alfred Hamme designed plans for a single-story theatre with 400 seats, dressing rooms and prop rooms. At a cost of $50,000, the Junior League agreed to help to raise funds, but in return, they wanted to build a larger building to be shared by both organizations. The cost escalated to $100,000, and the project never materialized.